Rate Increase Notice
December 30, 2021
Rate Increase Notice
(Effective January 2022)
Sangamon Valley Public Water District user fees and charges are examined annually during the Budget preparation.
Sangamon Valley Public Water District last raised its base rate in 2016, to $19.55 for Water and $16.18 for Sewer due to the addition of the Water Treatment Plant. This rate increase will not change or adjust the Base Rate, which is used to cover the cost of Debt.
Sangamon Valley Public Water District has not raised its universal rate (after 2,000-gallon minimum use) since 2013.
SVPWD has a minimum usage of 2,000 gallons at $19.55 for Water and $16.18 for Sewer, making a minimum user’s bill $35.73. This minimum will not change, this is called our Base Rate.
The previous universal rate for water is $6.60 per 1,000 gallons for indoor water and $7.15 per 1,000 gallons for outdoor water.
The previous universal rate for sewer is $6.60 per 1,000 gallons.
The new universal rate for water is $8.00 per 1,000 gallons for indoor water (after the 2,000 gal minimum) and $8.65 per 1,000 gallons for outdoor water.
The new universal rate for sewer is $9.15 per 1,000 gallons (after the 2,000 gal minimum).
The new rate increase will go into effect in January 2022. The bill that is dated January 31st, and due February 20th, 2022 will show the increased rates.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why are SVPWD’s rates increasing?
- SVPWD has not raised its universal rate since 2013. In order to keep up with raising industry costs and inflation, SVPWD must increase its universal rate for the first time in 9 years.
- How much is the increase?
- The increase is only on the universal rate (over the minimum 2,000 gallons). For water, the rate went up $1.40 per 1,000 gallons for inside use, $2.05 for outside use and $2.55 for sewer use.
- How was the rate increase determined?
- The rate increase was determine based on a cost study conducted by the IRWA (Illinois Rural Water Association) and was voted on by the Board of Trustees.
- Why is the increase so large?
- The increase may appear large, but SVPWD hasn’t raised its universal rate since 2013.
- I am a minimum user (use under 2,000 gallons). How will this change my water bill?
- Your water bill will not change. The minimum use amount will remain the same at $35.73.
- I use about 3,000 gallons per month. What will my new bill look like?
- The new rate adjustment would increase an average 3,000 Gallon/month user from $48.93 to $52.88.
- I use about 5,000 gallons per month. What will my new bill look like?
- The new rate adjustment would increase an average 5,000 Gallon/month user from $75.33 to $87.18.
- What can I do to reduce my monthly water use?
- You can fix leaks and install low-flow faucets and toilets. Visit this website for more helpful tips and tricks: https://en.reset.org/save-water-reduce-your-water-footprint/